Top 10 Things to Do Before Getting a Divorce. Free Report
1. Consider all options- counseling, mediation.
2. Consult with an a family law attorney, we can help (225)706-3333
3. Obtain and make copies of pay stubs, tax returns, retirement account statements, bank statements, car titles, real estate documents, insurance policies, and a credit report. Make those copies outside the home.
4. Make an inventory of your family possessions- use a camera or video camera.
5. Establish yourself. Get your own credit and source of funds. Open a new checking and savings account in your name along with a Post Office Box in your name alone.
6. Know your finances. Find out exactly how much your spouse earns and know your household budget and expenses. Also, make a realistic appraisal of your earning potential along with managing any debt.
7. Obtain a copy of any prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement or any other legal documents that you may have signed.
8. Gather any evidence that may have contributed to your marriage ending.
9. Get prepared to talk about the details of your marriage and custody arrangements.
10. Stress levels can be high, make sure your kids are your first priority while taking care of yourself too.
The information contained on this Website is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal or other advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Viewers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
phone (225) 706-3333 www.brlegalhelp.com
fax (225) 706-1524 3999 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
The Brouillette Law Firm provides skillful representation for clients located throughout the State of Louisiana, including the communities of Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, Alexandria, Monroe, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Covington, and all of the surrounding areas.